Wednesday, September 28, 2005




As much as I love this city, I must admit that Tampa does have some shortcomings, although a lot of them are not inherently its fault. I submit for your inspection a list of concerts coming to the area from now until the end of the year, courtesy of Pollstar.

If you're reading the list thinking, "How is this a shortcoming? I would love to see Loggins & Messina/Big & Rich/Hanson/Neil Diamond," then you can go ahead and stop reading. I will admit that there are some bands coming to town that might be considered "alternative" (a term so vague and worthless that the letters seem to be disappearing from my monitor), but perhaps it's my own snobbish taste that prevents me from being excited about The Bravery or Fall Out Boy; it might also be that those bands will be littering
Vinyl Fever's bargain bin in a few months (if we're lucky). And while I must admit that there are a few big artists of merit coming soon (i.e. U2, Kanye West), I can't say I enjoy the sterile atmosphere of the arena concert as much as the intimate energy of a club show. For most other bands, Florida is simply a cul-de-sac - you only turn here to turn around.

But occasionally my snobbish taste is rewarded with a visit from an artist I think is worth my not-so-hard-earned money (I'm writing this from work). This month a miracle has occured: there are TWO shows on that Pollstar list, both at my
favorite live music venue in Tampa Bay, that have made their way to my calendar - and both on Saturday night, no less!

On October 8,
Liz Phair makes an appearance. Some will vaguely remember her for her last, self-titled album, which briefly flirted with commercial radio success on the heels of the single "Why Can't I"; others will know her as the one-time indie-rock queen that sold-out with said album. I know her as a consistently fine songwriter that has entertained both with the wry, spare Exile in Guyville and the exuberant, slick Liz Phair, as well as the underrated whitechocolatespaceegg (there is Whip-Smart in there somewhere, but I know nothing about it). The new album won't be out until next week, but I am confident that the show will entertain on the strength of past material alone.

Exactly 3 weeks later (October 29, for those in no mood to think), we get
Drive By Truckers. Yes, it sounds country. Yes, it is sort-of country. Maybe more like Lynyrd Skynyrd if they were more punk and less dead. I believe it was a review on Rhapsody that said it best, describing them as a non-spastic, less REM-obsessed version of the Old 97's (link included in case the Old 97's provide no point of reference - they're great, too, and they have bothered to play here as well). The word is that they are wild live. I missed them earlier this year when they visited another great Tampa Bay venue, Skipper's Smokehouse, so the anticipation is building.

Seriously though, check out that Pollstar link. If you're a fan of past-their-prime 80's artists, Tampa is Mecca. I know some of you might be nostalgic about the days when you'd be in the back of your T-Top Firebird, making out with a girl wearing hula-hoop earrings, but it's time to let Styx sail away. Without me, please.



Posted by Joel at 9/28/2005 05:38:00 PM