Wednesday, September 07, 2005




I think I can stand to toss some positive energy out there in the world, so I've decided on another semi-recurring topic. If you haven't seen my profile (what little there is of it), I live in Tampa, Florida. There are days when I find this town fairly backwater and dull, but when I realize that I'm comparing Tampa to New York, it dawns on me that I'm not being particularly fair. There are few cities that can stand up to comparison with the Big Apple. Once I give Tampa a fair shot, I realize that there is plenty to love about my home. So from time to time, I am going to highlight something that makes me glad to call this place home. Anyone who knows me will attest that I've been known to do some eating in my time, so I'll start with a gastronomical two-fer.

Mel's Hot Dogs - 4136 East Busch Boulevard
Mise en Place - 442 West Kennedy Boulevard

There is no better way to see your city than by attempting to act as a tour guide to someone who has never visited. At first you might find yourself slightly ashamed; it's hard to separate yourself from what has to this point been routine. If you live in Cincinnati, that shame may last a while (the joys of an insignificant blog!). Otherwise you may soon find yourself surprised at what your home city has to offer.

If anyone were ever bored enough to ask me to show them around the Bay Area, Eastern Edition, they can count on eating at Mel's. Sure, they're just doing the Chicago-style dog, but hey, even Chicagoans frequent this place. The dogs are all-beef, which is the only way to go. Everything that goes on the dogs will probably be the best you've had, including the freakishly green relish (don't ask, just go). And then there's the vibe. If you can stand the fact that the big-screen TV is usually playing FoxNews, everything else about the ambience is great. If you're lucky enough to be there when Mel himself is running the register (and he's there a lot), you'll be meeting one heck of a people-person. And even if you haven't been there in several months, they will remember your name when you come back - and you will always come back. Vegetarian? I hear the veggie burger is pretty darned tasty. For the meat-eaters, I recommend the reuben or slaw dogs.

If you have a little extra cash to spend, then it's off to Mise en Place for dinner. It's actually nowhere near as expensive as any of those overwrought steak houses and hotel restaurants you'll find here and in any other city; plus the food will be 20 times more imaginative. And while the Marty Blitz' place will never carry the clout of Tampa's queen of restaurants Bern's, I think Mise en Place is just plain more fun. What's fun about this food, particularly for a someone living in the South, is that despite the often exotic ingredients, this is food that should not scare even the most meek eater. At different sittings I've ordered dishes containing what amounted to au gratin potatoes, cornbread and greens. But don't go getting any ideas that you'll find something just as good at Golden Corral. Plus, those sides are usually sitting next very un-buffet offerings like wild boar, ostrich and the best seafood I've ever found in town. And I don't care what you're feelings towards chocolate are, don't leave that restaurant without at least sampling the chocolate mousse.

Now if you'll excuse, I'm going to grudgingly eat some microwave popcorn.


Midnight came and midnight went
I thought I was the President
She said, "Do you have a car?"
And I said, "Do I have a car?"

- Old 97's, "Barrier Reef"


Posted by Joel at 9/07/2005 11:36:00 PM