Sunday, September 18, 2005




In the past it has been hard for me to appreciate what a fantastic airport Tampa International is in the grand scheme of things, because I’ve not had a lot of exposure to the grand scheme of things. As I visit more and more airports, I learn to love old TIA more and more. Newest reason: free wireless internet. So I’m writing this from Gate T3 in Atlanta-Hartsfield on Word, to be published later.

I cannot believe that all these people on their cellphones actually believe that their conversations are really that important that they can’t wait until they hit the ground in Tampa. It’s a one-hour flight! I seem to remember terminals being a quiet, relaxing place to be. I am hoping against hope that the cellphone culture isn’t able to invade our airplanes. I’m also hoping these fratsos behind me are waiting for another flight. As much as I really enjoy playing poker, the reality that poker amounts to chess for the macho set has made the hobby a guilty pleasure. I’m never traveling without my MP3 player ever again. There is obviously no social interaction to be made with a terminal full of people holding irrelevance to their ears; I may as well remove myself from their sphere of annoyance. The idiots are telling jokes now - blonde jokes, no less. Maybe the restroom will be quiet. Probably not.


Posted by Joel at 9/18/2005 10:55:00 PM