Wednesday, September 14, 2005




Whether you enjoy the vagaries of our existence or dread the change that is always lurking behind each passing second, we are all often faced with moments of fragile circumstance, when our fortunes make a complete about-face through the most subtle of catalysts. When we are faced with one of these moments, our one hope is that the shift will land us in a positive place.

I walked into my hotel in Atlanta hoping for a quick check-in. Despite having eaten dinner just 4 hours prior, I was fairly hungry. I just wanted to drop off my bags and go exploring. I was already noticing that the area was mostly populated by restaurants that cater to the guests of the many business-class hotels in the area (overpriced, unimpressive), so I was already deciding in my head which way I was going to go as the woman at the reception desk was looking up my reservation Then she said this:

"We have your reservation, but we don't have a room."

Here we go. I already knew that the hotel closer to the store I would be helping was booked - how were they going to fix this? The hotel being part of the Marriott family, I couldn't imagine that finding a room SOMEWHERE in town would be hard, but right then and there I just wanted to not be driving my boat of a rental car anymore.

And then the moment shifted. A woman helping another guest overheard this bad news, looked over and said the following words:

"Put him in the jacuzzi room. That's the only room left."

Suddenly I was not quite as hungry. Perhaps a small snack from the hotel would be fine. This is definitely not a business trip anymore.

Aside - favorite sign I read today, in the Budget Rent-A-Car lobby: "Rental cars from Budget of Atlanta are no longer permitted to travel in/through New York State."

I'm gonna get my s*** together
Cause I can't live like this forever
You know I've come to far and I don't want to fail
I've got a new computer and a bright future in sales
Yeah yeah, yeah yeah

- Fountains of Wayne, "Bright Future in Sales"


Posted by Joel at 9/14/2005 12:15:00 AM