Tuesday, January 31, 2006




Read before you post

And not a few minutes after I proclaimed that the changes to wordpress.com would happen soon, I immediately hit a roadblock.

Just as you have to pass on some perks with a free blog system like Blogger, it seems wordpress.com has its limitations at startup.

Customization is almost completely unavaiable. You can choose from 20 or so templates - that's it. You can't edit the themes in any way - no changing the header, no AdSense, no hit counter, nothing. The FAQ post regarding the lack of theme customization has plenty of comments from disgruntled bloggers, many saying that they won't make the switch from Blogger until this is remedied. WordPress does make its own comments stating that customization is happening, but the last update comment was posted at the end of November. Not promising.

I can certainly appreciate a clean site, but you really do need to allow for some personalization. Perhaps WordPress is hoping to keep .org and .com at least marginally different, but I can't imagine that they hope to be competitive with Blogger and others if they don't plan on coming close to comparative features.

So now that I got the jones for making the switch, I'm back to thinking about finding my own host. Maybe that's the plan. Curse you, WordPress. I think I'll go decidedly lo-tech and read a book.


More of the same:


Posted by Joel at 1/31/2006 11:33:00 PM