Friday, January 27, 2006




Hello Undies

I have a vague memory of a Christmas gift exchange in early elementary school. With an equal mix of boys and girls the gifts were obviously supposed to be of a unisex nature. Someone did not adhere to the rules, and a boy ended up with something Hello Kitty. I seem to remember that he started crying before the teacher asked if a girl would trade gifts with him, which fortunately someone was happy to do.

If I may assume sexual orientation, I have to imagine that he would not frown upon something Hello Kitty now, as long as it resembled this.



I know the fact that Hello Kitty is no longer
for little girls only is old hat, but I still got a kick out of this slideshow over at the Village Voice. And if you don't think that Sanrio, the company responsible for Hello Kitty and many other characters, is smart enough to know this, check out the very un-pre-teen girl on the home page of Sanrio's shop. Consider also their 2003 revenue of 1 billion dollars, 500 million of which comes from Hello Kitty.


Posted by Joel at 1/27/2006 12:42:00 AM