Saturday, February 04, 2006




Three cheers for teachers and not breeding

Do you remember those elementary school days when you'd take some Vicks VapoRub to school and rub it all over yourself and others?

Neither do I. But that's precisely what happen at the school where my wife teaches.

Fortunately it wasn't her class. I guess kindergarteners still enjoy the more innocent pleasures of biting - that happened two weeks ago during a field trip to Chuck E Cheese's. A girl bit another girl through two shirts and still broke skin.

Oh, that's why I have no interest in children. If I thought they were cute or something I guess it would balance out in the end, but mostly I find them gross and not terribly bright. I've been told that my patience and even temper are ideal for raising children, but I'm fairly certain it takes more than that. It's possible that I'd learn to love one if it were mine, but that seems an pretty selfish risk to take if I turn out to be every bit the pedophobe I am now.

Considering my wife lacks some of that patience and temperament I am continually in amazement that she's managed to do the teaching thing for this long and actually enjoy it on some days. I'd simply never make it.

Then again I have to deal with people like this and this. I guess when the helpless person is technically an adult, and you're only indirectly responsible for their education, you don't feel at all responsible for them if they just can't function.

And so concludes today's misanthropy.


More of the same:


Posted by Joel at 2/04/2006 06:44:00 PM