Wednesday, January 11, 2006




Squick me

In an announcement that will surely interest only minutiae-hunting bloggers like myself, the editors of the New Oxford Dictionary announced their words of their year. Heading up this year's list is "podcast."

Alright, no surprise there. Let's go further down the list. We've got "bird flu" which seems to me to be two words. We then have a few acronyms - these guys obviously don't play much Scrabble. Then we have "lifehack," which is defined as "a more efficient or effective way of completing an everyday task."

Is this a word the boys back at Oxford University are tossing around? Am I just growing that much more out of touch?

I was also taken aback by "squick" - "cause immediate and thorough revulsion" (used in a sentence: "Was anyone else squicked by our waiter’s piercings?").

So off to Google we go. Squick mostly gave me dictionaries and encyclopedias. First hit for lifehack took me to
lifehack.org, which reads like every How to Move Cheese and Influence Oz Principles nonsense book corporate American continues to lap up. Nice t-shirts, though.

We now wait anxiously for
American Heritage to announce their choice.



So get used to the lonsesome
Girl, you must atone some
Don't leave me no phone number there
La di da

- The Shins, "Gone for Good"


Posted by Joel at 1/11/2006 11:18:00 PM