Monday, January 02, 2006




Take a hint

That's how many bottles of dye it took to get my hair looking this good.



















Kerry Positioned for '08 White House Bid

Unfortunately that is not an Onion headline.

I have no doubt that Kerry was and continues to be a better choice than ol'
Smirky McWarPants, but I also have not forgotten how long it took to convince myself to be excited about him. Politically as well I can't envision a bigger disaster. I'm not sure what spin machine he's concocted, but I can't even imagine how he could talk himself out of all the bombs lobbed in his direction in 2004, whether fair or otherwise.

The article mentions Adlai Stevenson as proof that Democrats cannot keep coming back - he lost twice to Eisenhower. I have a feeling that had much more to do with the candidates, especially Eisenhower. It then mentions Nixon having lost in 1960 but winning eight years later. Again I'm not so sure that proves anything about a Republican's ability to persevere; Nixon could have very well lost to another Kennedy had Robert not been assassinated.

I'm just not sure that any losing candidate can survive to campaign another day. Let's go back to McCain. The man is pretty well reviled by many conservatives, the conservatives he'll need to gain a nomination. A lot of those ill feelings could probably be traced to that positively vile race for the GOP nomination in 2000 when Bush's campaign managed to make a former prisoner of war seem unpatriotic (and to think people were shocked when he did the same to Kerry) when compared to Bush the National Guard Hero. I might be severely underestimating the Republicans but I cannot see the party coming together behind McCain even if he might be their best chance at keeping the presidency. I would hope that if they manage to pretend to that the Democrats would take that and run with it.

Ultimately Kerry still doesn't do anything for me or many others, and I'm not sure what he could possibly do to change that. What's most frightening is that he may still be the best thing the Democrats have, at least at this point. Yikes.


Posted by Joel at 1/02/2006 11:46:00 PM