Tuesday, January 03, 2006




Because I live in Tampa - it's required by law

I don't talk about the Bucs much. Not only am I a bigger Dolphins' fan, but Best Bucs Blog and Pewter Pirates both do a perfectly fine job covering all things Buccaneers. But the Bucs are in the playoffs, so let's give them a mention.

There are many intriguing potential matchups in this year's playoffs - Barber v. Barber, the Manning Bowl, Pats and Colts again - but I doubt that there's no game that would be more loaded with drama than a Tampa Bay against Indianapolis Super Bowl. And much like the
classic MNF game the two teams played in 2003, I probably won't be able to help but root for the Colts.

That's another reason I don't talk about the Bucs much.

But I know I won't be the only one in Tampa rooting for the Colts. If it wasn't already a well known fact, the recent death of Tony Dungy's son proved that Dungy is about as beloved a person as this city has. Even if that tragedy had never happened I'm sure there'd be plenty of Tampa residents cheering on the Colts.

I don't really dislike Jon Gruden as many I know do. Sure he's every bit the opposite of the kind, level-headed Dungy, but that may not be such a bad thing. How can you not enjoy the scowl or the X-rated lip-reading? He definitely seems smug, but as long as they don't reach Warren Sapp levels of antisocial behavior I don't care what personality problems any football player or coach has.

That being said I doubt that Gruden would have the type of following should he leave the Bucs that Dungy has had after his Tampa tenure. Add to that the fact that so many people think the ring Gruden won was with Dungy's team - an argument with plenty of merit - and I can definitely see even some die-hard Bucs fans wearing Colt blue under their Alstott jerseys.


Posted by Joel at 1/03/2006 01:22:00 AM