Tuesday, January 03, 2006




Vote, for shame - the FL governor e-mail campaign

Several days ago I received an e-mail from Jim Davis' campaign. It was in the form of a letter from two people who had received very personal help from Davis when their elderly mother was evicted from her nursing home.

A few days later (although the message was apparently sent on the 29th of December, I didn't receive it until New Year's Day - shame the e-mail touts the December 31st contribution deadline)
Rod Smith's campaign provided its own satisfied customer letter, this time from a woman who was attacked in her apartment.

While I'm happy to see both campaigns are at least doing something with their e-mail updates - I now sign up for updates from both GOP candidates almost daily, wondering if maybe there's some kind of technical problem - my jaded self can't help but think that both candidates thought of these very campaigning letters when they were presented with both cases. Not that the effort and results weren't positive. Hey, I said I was jaded.

Here are both letters, in case you don't get the updates and want to read them for yourself.

Dear , (*note: that's how it came - they called me Dear*)
Seven years ago, our 93-year-old mother was evicted out of her nursing home along with many more residents because they were on Medicaid. Like many older Americans, our mother had exhausted her financial means and relied on Medicaid to pay her medical bills.We were distraught, and searched everywhere for help. Fortunately for our family, Jim Davis was our congressman. We had never met Jim before, but we called his office, and to our surprise, had an appointment to meet with him immediately. He listened to our situation, and acted right away. He began drafting a bill that prevented nursing homes from evicting seniors who rely on Medicaid to pay the bills.Jim formed a bi-partisan coalition to work on the bill. Less than a year after we met with Congressman Davis, we were in the Oval Office watching President Bill Clinton sign a bill into law that protected any senior from being kicked out of a nursing home.Now Jim is running for Governor of Florida. We remember how he helped our family and we will do everything we can to help him in his campaign. We hope you will do the same and consider making a new contribution today, before the December 31 deadline.
www.jimdavis2006.com/contributeTo this day, we are amazed and impressed that Congressman Davis not only took the time to meet with us and listen to us, but that he did something. He didn't just hold a hearing or write a letter, or issue a press release; he wrote a law that protects seniors from being kicked out of a nursing home. He actually fixed a problem that needed fixing and provided protection for millions of seniors and their families.Courage is tough to find in politics these days, and we know it when we see it. We see courage and strength in Jim Davis, the courage to stand up for what he believes and the strength to do what is right.Floridians of all ages face challenges each day of their lives. Whether it's a senior struggling to pay off a medical bill or a child struggling to learn in a crowded classroom, our state has some problems that need solving. We've seen that Jim understands that, and knows how to fix it. His leadership in doing what's right for Floridians has been an inspiration to us and our whole family.Before our mother got kicked out of her nursing home, we'd never met a congressman before or even thought much about politics. We never thought politicians could do much for us until we met Jim. Congressman Davis is a sincere and caring person who gets things done. He listens to the people and responds to their concerns. And this is why we are telling our story and supporting Jim Davis to be Florida's next governor.And in another first for us, we're asking you to help Jim by contributing to his campaign. Every dollar you contribute will go directly to show Floridians how Jim will be a governor who listens to the people and gets things done. Please take a few minutes out of your busy day and help us support Jim Davis. Please make a new contribution of $35, $50, $100, $250, even $500 or whatever you can by December 31.www.jimdavis2006.com/contributeSincerely,Nelson and Geri MongioviP.S. Please remember the December 31 deadline for making sure your contribution counts toward our total for the year. Please make a new contribution today of $35, $50, $100, $250, even $500, or whatever you can. www.jimdavis2006.com/contribute


Dear Floridians,
Ten years ago, my roommate Gina and I were brutally attacked in our Gainesville apartment. I narrowly survived. My roommate did not.
Nothing can ever bring my roommate, my friend, back to her friends and family. And nothing will ever erase the horror and fear that I will remember for the rest of my life.
But at the same time, nothing will ever make me forget the one person who fought on my behalf as tirelessly and relentlessly as any one person can fight to make certain that justice was done and to make certain that my roommate's killer, my attacker, could never again do to anyone else what he did to Gina and me.
The person I'm referring to is Rod Smith, who now is a candidate for governor. At the time of my attack, he was the State Attorney for the 8th judicial circuit, which includes Gainesville.
Rod stood with me during every difficult step along the way. He helped me find the courage and strength I needed to move forward. And he pursued the prosecution of my attacker with a level of commitment and persistence that I did not expect. Thanks to Rod Smith, the man who attacked me and killed my friend will never again set foot outside of a prison and will never again be a threat to innocent people.
I'm grateful to Rod Smith for what he did for me. But that is NOT why I am writing this letter. I'm writing it because I want you to know who Rod Smith is. I want you to know what I've come to understand about him:
The extraordinary thing to me about Rod Smith is not that he made a difference in my life. It's that he has made a difference in so many peoples lives. I can't begin to tell you how many people have stories about how Rod Smith, as a prosecutor, as a senator, as a lawyer committed to civil rights, or as just an ordinary citizen, stepped in to help them through difficult times when they were terminated from their job unfairly, when they were abused or neglected by authorities who were supposed to help, when their rights were being ignored.
Rod Smith was there for me when I needed him. But the point I'm trying to make is that my experience with Rod Smith is not unique. Rod Smith has filled his lifetime by being there for people, often complete strangers, who needed help. And when you combine that trait, that commitment to others, those core values with the effectiveness, intelligence and innate ability to lead that even his fiercest critics concede to him, you begin to recognize that he could indeed be a great governor.
I know Rod Smith better than most people will ever have a chance to know him. I will tell you this: Rod Smith represents an opportunity for the state of Florida and we should not waste it.
This Saturday (December 31) is the end of a crucial fundraising quarter, and Rod's campaign needs your help. I've already made a contribution to his campaign, and now I'm asking you to do so as well. Please
click here to make a contribution of any size. It will be a great investment in the future of our state.
If you want to learn more about Rod, please go to his website and watch the video of the speech he gave to the state Democratic convention earlier this month. (You'll see me in the video, too, because I'm one of the people who introduced him.)
Click here to watch it. If you are not ready to make a contribution now, I think you will be after you watch his speech.
I appreciate you taking the time to read my letter. Now I hope you will join me in helping to elect Rod governor.
With warm thanks,Jena Wilson
PS: I hope you will take the time to watch Rod's speech to the state Democratic convention earlier this month.
Click here to watch it. You will see for yourself what an exceptional governor this man will be. And most importantly, please join me in contributing to his campaign before the fundraising quarter ends this Saturday.


Posted by Joel at 1/03/2006 12:57:00 AM