Sunday, December 18, 2005




Old people have all the fun

On different occasions several months ago my wife and I applied online to become poll workers for Hillsborough County elections. Both of us had been inspired to volunteer after I had a pretty lousy experience at the polls in 2004, an experience created by inept, irrational, cantankerous poll workers that seemed quite sure that anyone younger than they were - namely everyone - deserved no respect. Fortunately that day was the only poor experience I've had during my admittedly short voting life. Most of the time the poll workers are perfectly pleasant people, if maybe a tad slow.

Still it struck us that working the polls need not be a job left to retirees. The
requirements are pretty simple - be registered, be literate. The classes are pretty short. And I doubt that it's hard for many of us to get a day off on that Tuesday, particularly with a valid excuse such as this. Apart from regulation that married couple cannot work the same precinct, we were excitedly awaiting the mailed packet that they told us would come after we applied.

Several months later and no packet. Perhaps there's an age minimum that's not advertised. Young people - they'll probably want to come in and change the system! Just lose their packet.

I wasn't blogging at the time I applied, but since then I thought that the experience might even prove to be a great topic. I guess I'll have to keep writing about
mannequin sex. I wonder how many search engine hits that will get me.


Posted by Joel at 12/18/2005 08:39:00 PM