Tuesday, December 20, 2005




Champagne wishes and congressional dreams

Yessiree, these are my fat-cat pants.





















The 2004 elections were the first time I ever donated any amount of money to a political campaign, a very small amount to the ill-fated Kerry camp. It took some deliberation for me to finally part with that money, not because of any uncertainty about the candidate (though that was certainly there) but because I was uncertain of how my money would actually be used. In the end I decided that even if the money went to "administrative fees" or boxes of staples, it was still money being put to good use.

Apparently my pitiful altruism is not shared by some who donate money to politicians.




"I guess it's almost an automatic fifty bucks to anybody who's on my side," said George Wrenn, a retired architectural historian from Freedom, N.H.


That's a quote from a man that donated $50 to one of Tom DeLay's many political groups, in response to a report that DeLay's fund-raising machine has provided the Texas congressman quite the luxurious life: world-class resorts, four-star restaurants, PGA golf courses, corporate jets.

Before anyone thinks this is just another lefty lambasting of the right, I absolutely do not doubt that extravagant living is a bipartisan activity. It just so happens that DeLay has rarely faced a formidable opponent for his congressional seat, so his warchest is rarely even dented during campaigns. And he's decided his exhausting fund-raising schedule necessitates some "relaxation."

I sincerely hope that the attitude taken by the quoted donor is in the minority. As usual my hopes are sad as a three-legged puppy. If DeLay's legal troubles even manage to penetrate through the all the good news coming out of the White House - oh snicker - I doubt that these examples of shameless waste will awaken anyone but the already awake. Everyone else will either continue to not care or refuse to even consider that their precious Hammer could do anything wrong. And John McCain's principles, which forbid him from sailing along with the currently dominant wing of the Republican party, will continue to render his efforts for campaign finance reform useless.

While my time is much more valuable than my money, at least my time can't be stashed away for a vacation to Jamaica and $35 bouillabaisse. Let my cynicism overcome me, but if I feel moved by any particular campaign it'll be just time - not another drop in the bucket from me.


Posted by Joel at 12/20/2005 05:53:00 PM