Friday, November 18, 2005




Cincinnati

A visual representation of the next
time I will visit Cincinnati.







Photo courtesy of Wikipedia



"Cincinnati USA - All Together Surprising"

That's the slogan being used to promote the city of Cincinnati, Ohio. Hmm.

On several occasions on this blog I've spoken ill of the city of Cincinnati. I can't say I've traveled much in my twenty-five years, certainly not as much as I'd like. I can say that of the bigger cities that I have visited, none has left a worse impression than Cincinnati.

I'll admit: I only spent five days there during a high school wind ensemble trip. There's a pretty good chance that I didn't get the full picture. But here's what I did get:

- lots of urban decay
- a
baseball stadium - fortunately demolished in 2002 - that leaked beer (hopefully) onto our heads from the upper deck above
- a very cold, very dull boat trip along the Ohio River
- a nasty 24-hour bug that hit hardest while we were trapped in a crowded docked-boat restaurant with lousy service and lousier food

So the criticism may not be entirely deserved. I could have just as easily gotten sick in New York City or Paris. And hey, Cincinnati was
voted "most liveable city" in 1994 (it's also the third most oft misspelled). So are you going to take it easy on Cincinnati?

Probably not.

If anyone from Cincinatti Cincinatty Cincinnati happens across this, please feel free to leave a nasty comment, or a comment in agreement (I'm still hoping for my first nasty comment, though). Toss a potshot at Tampa if you wish. It's all in good fun.

All this leads to Saturday's football game between the
USF Bulls and the Cincinnati Bearcats. Sorry, guys - you can have the basketball (and you will, along with every other team in the Big East), but football is our baby. We've got a BCS bowl to crash. After the Bearcats come the Huskies. And then the West Virginia Mountaineers.

It's a shame I've never been to Morgantown.
How will I ever make fun?


On one scary night I saw the light
Heard a voice that sounded like Barry White
Said, "Sure you're right"

- Madvillain, "Raid"


Posted by Joel at 11/18/2005 08:32:00 PM