Thursday, October 20, 2005




Higher education at always low prices

I couldn't study - I was too busy whistling and slashing prices.
Photo courtesy of Columbia Daily Tribune

I don't really want to beat that proverbial dead horse - I think he's starting to smell - but I simply could not ignore this story. Apparently the granddaughter of one of Wal-Mart's co-founders paid a college roommate $20,000 to do some of her work while attending the University of Southern California. After much investigation, she has given up her diploma.

Quick, use the name Paris Hilton in the same sentence as the word "achievement" and try not to laugh - times she did it in one day doesn't count. No, Elizabeth Paige Laurie probably does not have any use for a college degree. She has countless money coming her way, as well as those stunning, how-do-you-spell-rich good looks. Plus, I seriously doubt any Wal-Mart shopper will reconsider where to buy their out-sourced merchandise after hearing about this. Heck, she went to USC - that there's a liberal college!

My joy upon reading this story was derived from the notion that this Elena Martinez squeezed $20,000 out of this girl. Someone managed to exploit Wal-Mart! And a minority, no less! That, and her name has been taken off the University of Missouri's sports arena. Now if we can just get Paris Hilton's name taken off, well, everywhere.

I enjoy symmetry. Let's end this with another smiling doofus.


Photo courtesy of AP (Yahoo!)

I think he was trying to come off as a nice guy by smiling wide in his booking photo. Sorry, Tom - now you're just the creepy real estate agent of the month. Is it me, or did he wear make-up?



Say a prayer
For you and me
Say a prayer
Tell me do you miss me

- Luna, "23 Minutes into Brussels"


Posted by Joel at 10/20/2005 10:24:00 PM